Despite rounds of diplomatic and military level talks in the past five-six months, the standoff with China on the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in eastern Ladakh remains inconclusive. Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on Wednesday said that no “meaningful solution” has come out and there is “status quo”. ALSO READ | China May Attempt Entering Afghanistan By Using ‘Pawn’ Pakistan: IAF Chief RKS Bhadauria
“It is true that in order to reduce the standoff between India and China, talks were taking place on a military and diplomatic level. But no success has been achieved so far,” Rajnath Singh said, as quoted by news agency ANI.
Referring to the Working Mechanism for Consultation and Coordination (WMCC) meeting on India-China Border Affairs (WMCC) held virtually earlier this month, the Defence Minister said that even after rounds of high-level talks and negotiations, the status quo remains, and if this continues, there cannot be a reduction in the deployment of troops.
“There will be no reduction in our deployment and I feel their deployment will also not reduce. Our expectation is that talks result in a positive outcome,” Rajnath said.
The minister informed that there will be a next round of talks on a military level which can take place anytime. But no meaningful outcome has come and there is status quo.
The minister further said that both the countries are doing a lot of infrastructure development at a fast pace for people and soldiers on the border areas.
We are not developing infrastructure to attack any country but for our people, the minister clarified, adding that “India will not tolerate anything that hurts its self-respect. Being soft does not mean that anyone can attack our pride and we sit and watch silently. India will not compromise on its pride.”